The Art of Neighboring
By Dave Runyon
Sept 21-22, 2019
Discussion Questions: September 21-22
Introduction: Share about a time that you borrowed something from one of your neighbors or asked a neighbor for help.
Read: Luke 7:36-47
- How would you describe your relationship with your neighbors?
- What do you recall from Dave Runyon’s sermon 5 years ago and do you still have the card?
- Have you ever had an experience where a person walked into an event where you were not sure how to respond to their entrance similar to the one in Luke 7:36-38? How did you respond?
- Have you struggled to “see” someone but then you finally “saw” them? What allowed for that change in your heart?
- The art of receiving:How have you made a relationship reciprocal by “receiving” and giving? Are you good at allowing other people to care for you? What makes it hard? How often do you ask for help from someone outside of your immediate family?
- What have you tried to do in order to lean in and connect with your neighbors similar to Dave’s story about hunting? What are your neighbors knowledgeable and/or passionate about? How could you enter into their world and allow them to serve you?
- What are you hoping to do to start to get to know your neighbors?
- What is the next small step that you feel led to take with one of your neighbors?
Zechariah 2:10 (The Message)
“Shout and celebrate, Daughter of Zion! I’m on my way. I’m moving into your neighborhood!”
For Your Neighborhoood(s)
We pray that You would bring peace into the homes of this neighborhood. That where there is discord, pain, or darkness, You would bring reconciliation, healing, and light. In trials, bring a peace that surpasses understanding. In sin, shine Your Light to drive the darkness away. In all things and in every home, reveal Yourself as Healer, Reconciler and Restorer. Shine Your healing Light in: broken marriages, loneliness, abuse, illness, anxiety, fear, and everything else that is robbing my neighbors of Your Peace.
Small Group Prayer (in groups of 2-3)
How can we pray specifically for you this week?
Further Prayers for Your Neighbors/Neighborhoods